Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cronulla, 3 years later.

On December the 11th, 2005, the beach side Sydney suburb of Cronulla saw an unbelievable display of tension that had been building for months as gangs of Lebanese and Australians swarmed the beach, after two lifeguards were beaten, more than 5,000 Australians turned up at Cronulla determined to "reclaim the beach". A series of text messages were sent out and Riots broke loose and that day is now remembered by all Australians as not one to be proud of.

I was down there the night after the infamous riots and I got a first hand glimpse of the tension as I found myself hiding from Lebanese "gangs" in the beach side park across the road from the Northies pub. Every time I visit the streets of cronulla, I remember how it felt to be scared in my own country and nowadays, three years later, I could even see the unspoken tension between two cultures as I walked through the suburb. I have never been to a place, city or town and seen this many flags hung in windows as a display of some body’s pride and honestly, have never felt so on edge.

I took the time to go out and collect these images a day before I left the country. it felt strange to be an Australian but not feel the same pride for what happened on December the 11th, 2005. And I guess it made the reasons of my leaving seem more acceptable as I’m trying to open my mind and respect every culture I come across.

-Marty














No comments: